Wednesday, June 15, 2011

LG BD670 3D Wireless Network Blu-ray Disc Player with Smart TV

BD670
Chose this model because it was streaming DLNA and built-in wireless connection (do not need a separate adapter). I have not been disappointed in any of its functions. Wireless connectivity is a breeze - installation was simple and this model supports WPA2 security key to 32 characters (unlike the previous models televisions and LG Blu-ray discs is limited to 18 to 20 characters, as I discovered when I bought a wireless adapter for our TV!). The wireless connection seems to be much more stable than other wireless devices we have. Occasionally you have to turn off and on again to get a connection at boot, but this is not surprising given the flaky our router is ... :-)

playback of Blu-ray is very good. Our first Blu-ray seemed grainy and I was worried until I read several discussions on the forum that criticized the film transfer. Many Blu-ray apparently deliberately grainy because it duplicates the "film" The experience that the director wanted. You can use the movie mode on the TV to reduce the grain as this reduces the sharpness setting. Our second Blu-ray was really smooth and detailed, like most other drives. Playback resolution is excellent, you can see every pore in someone's face and the depth of field is incredible. No stutters, freezes or technical problems with any of the disks that have been played. DVD scaling is also good - I decided that it's not worth replacing any DVD to Blu-ray and upscaled to 1080p playback is as good as Blu-ray.

Netflix wireless transmission is absolutely painless, once I worked the "Netflix ESN" that the player has, on the network configuration is not the code to be used for connection setup from Netflix. You must select LG Premium icon menu that has access to high quality streaming, Netflix select and obtain the access code from the setup menu there. Enter the code once on the Netflix website ("Activate a Netflix ready device" on your account settings) and Netflix streaming works automatically after that. I hope my experience will save you hours of other people trying to connect with the wrong code! Netflix is ​​of excellent quality, much better than broadcast television for most shows. The player seems to listen to the perfection of Netflix almost no stutters or resolution degradation problems, including high-definition movies. The only problems I've seen is when my Internet connection is congested (Comcast network access is pretty bad on the nights of Friday and Saturday in my area). I'm impressed.

A recent firmware update (April 2011) added Amazon Video on Demand, which also works fine! It's great to have these services. The device also offers Vudu, Pandora, Napster, etc, but I have not used those. Firmware upgrades are easy, but these are about 5-10 minutes to load via wireless connection - you need to keep their nerve and not the player off, thinking nothing is happening. Finally, a message appears saying that the download is loaded and the player stops and starts. If the download fails (which happened once), the device is not affected (good design).

I was very impressed by how painless it was to create streaming media from a PC with DLNA. A copy of Nero Essentials Home Media Server is supplied on CD - I installed it, the player automatically detect my PC and presented me with a list of files that can play the media folder. This was so * easy! DLNA streaming files has worked brilliantly, I only had problems with one large (10 GB) home movie file that stuttered and stopped. Then I discovered the USB connection on the front right of the player. He had been so taken with all streaming solutions that I overlooked the easiest way to play media files, which is an external hard drive or flash drive! The rules BD670 large file from an external hard drive without problems. Since then, the player has played everything I've thrown at it: AVI, MKV, etc using lots of different codecs. With 3 firmware updates in the month I've owned, I have great confidence that is being updated constantly to play all the latest disk and file formats. So I'm very happy bunny!

Technical Details

  • Enjoy 3D Blu-ray Disc movies in Full HD 1080p
  • Smart TV enables an easy way to access limitless content, thousands of movies, customizable apps
  • Integrated Wi-Fi Connectivity allows you take advantage of Smart TV from any available Wi-Fi connection
  • Standard DVD Up-Scaling delivers exceptional image quality from standard DVDs with 1080p up scaling via HDMI output
  • Dolby Digital Plus lets you experience all of the enveloping surround sound that Blu-ray Disc
  • Dolby Digital Plus lets you experience all of the enveloping surround sound that Blu-ray Disc, high-definition (HD) broadcast, and streamed and downloaded media make possible
  • Smart TV enables an easy way to access limitless content, thousands of movies, customizable apps, videos and browse the web all organized in a simple to use interface



1 comment:

  1. WOW!!! Thank you soooooo much for your tip about going to the LG Premium icon menu for setting up Netflix. I was tearing my hair out on the "Netflix ESN" setting because the manual did not talk AT ALL about the premium icon. I NEVER would have figured it out without reading your review!!! Thanks again!!!!!

    ReplyDelete